It’s a balmy -15 here in Cranbrook today – and mostly cloudy to boot. My original plan was for some showtunes here on Playlist Thursday as a way to boost our spirits on a cold day. After discussing this theme with some of my favourite showtune experts (my mom and my soul friend, B) I realized that all of my favourites of this genre make me weepy. True to form, I put this playlist together anyway. It turns out most of my favourite songs of all genres are the ones that touch my heart…no avoiding it.
* Sunrise Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof (try hearing this song after your kid starts first grade…)
* All I Ask of You from Phantom of the Opera (this is a beautiful version by Sarah Brightman and Michael Ball)
* No Day But Today from Rent (for B, with love)
* Oh What a Beautiful Morning from Oklahoma! (Poor Jud is dead!)
* Sisters from White Christmas (I don’t know if we strictly-speaking consider this a showtune but I’m sending this one out to my sister/cousin, Lisa)
* Sister Suffragette from Mary Poppins (I adore this song. It’s not sad!)
* Any Dream Will Do from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat (it wasn’t super easy to find a version of this featuring Donny Osmond in eyeliner)
* On My Own from Les Miserables (Samantha Banks breaks my freaking heart)
* Tonight from West Side Story (this was my foray into musical theatre on stage. I was a Jet girl because, in the director’s words, “There’s just no making this girl look Puerto Rican)
So…sorry for not uplifting you with happy lyrics. Hopefully the beauty of the songs will suffice?? Forgive??
It’s too early for a Christmas playlist, but only just. Stay tuned for next week…