Here’s a little trick to sequencing that no one tells you in teacher training:
Yoga teachers recycle!
If I didn’t have some fall-back lesson plans to work with, I’d spend my entire life sequencing. It’s not to say that I don’t love throwing new stuff in the repertoire. If I had my way, I’d spend 90% of life learning new yoga from teachers, videos, articles, etc. I love to live and breathe yoga. Unfortunately, meals and sleep and family intervene and I’m often left with less prep time for class than I would like.
The same goes for playlists. I have some fall-backs that I like to use. Certain songs that I mix up and throw together when I need a soundtrack for class and I don’t have time to prep one.
The following is a mix of some of my favourite stand-by yoga jams. You’ll notice some repeats and that’s cool. I know that as a yoga student, it’s as comforting to hear familiar songs as it is exciting to hear new ones.
Here we go again:
* When I’m With You: Alias (Acoustic Live Version)
* Love on Top: Beyonce (What’s a yoga class without Beyonce?)
* Into the Mystic: Colin James (There are many versions of this song that I’m totally in love with, but this is by far my favourite)
* Crash Into Me: Dave Matthews Band
* Hysteria: Def Leppard
* Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters: Elton John
* Levon: Elton John